Tillmon Lane who is among the prominent old settlers, was born in Monroe County, Kentucky, October 14th, 1823, and was the son of Ezekiel and Talitha Lane. In 1827 his father came to, Illinois, and settled in Hamilton County, where he lived until 1835; he then came to what is now De Witt County, and entered land where the subject of this sketch now lives, in Creek Township, where he continued to reside until his death, October 19th, 1853, his wife having preceded him seven years. They raised a family of seven children, Tillmon being the eldest. He acquired such an education as the schools of the day afforded. He assisted his father on the farm until he arrived at the age of maturity. November 15th. 1848, he was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Thompson, who was born in Sangamon County. They have raised a family of eight children, five now living. Mr. Lane's life occupation has been that of a farmer. In politics he has always been a Democrat. For a number of years he represented his township in the County Board. In 1873 he represented his county in the State Legislature. Religiously, he is a member of the Christian Church. He lives a half-mile north of Lane, a growing, little village he laid out in 1878.
In the 1860 census of Creek Twp, DeWitt Co., IL, Tillman, 35, is living with his wife Elizabeth, 30, and children James, 8, Mary E., 4, Marthy L., 2, and Tlitha, 1. A Philip Mulkey, 20, is also living with them. Tillman had real property worth $1000 and personal property worth $800.
In the 1870 census of Creek Twp, DeWitt Co., IL, Tillman, 46, is living with wife Elizabeth, 40, and children James, 17, Ellen, 15, Martha, 13, Jane, 11, George R., 9, Jeremiah, 7, Ezekiel, 5, and William, 3/12. He's a farmer with land worth $16,000 and personal property worth $3000.
July 7, 1911
END OF A LONG AND USEFUL LIFE
Tillmon Lane, One of The Pioneer Residents Of This County Passes To His Rest.
Tillmon LANE, who had been ill only a few days, died at his home in the village bearing his name, at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the ripe age of 87 years, 8 months and 21 days. He was taken ill last Sunday, growing weaker rapidly, and since Monday night had been unconscious.
Having been a resident of this county for more than three quarters of a century, no man in this section was more widely known or more highly esteemed. The following sketch is from the DeWitt County History:
Tillmon Lane came of Revolutionary stock, his maternal grandfather having aided the colonies in their struggle for freedom. He was born in Monroe County, Kentucky, October 14, 1823. His father Ezekiel LANE having moved to that state from Tennessee. The family was one of the first to settle in that state. In 1827 the family came to Illinois, locating in Hamilton county. Eight years later they came to DeWitt county, locating in what is now Creek township, being at that time a part of Macon county, DeWitt not then having been organized. The elder Lane took up land where the village of Lane now stands, paying $1.25 per acre. He devoted a part of his time to the ministry, being one of the first preachers of the New Light church to locate in this state. He died in 1853 his wife having died in 1846.
For a short time during his boyhood Tillmon Lane pursued his studies in the subscription schools of Hamilton county. The old school was a log affair with greased paper windows, puncheon floor and stick chimney. After coming here he spent six months in school on Rock Creek, two miles east of Waynesville, at that time a good school. This completed his school education with the exception of about one week in a school in Creek township. There were no roads in this locality and the boy was forced to break his way, through brush and snow to reach the school. He remained at home until 21 years of age, when he entered 80 acres of land in Creek township at the land office in Danville, three days being required to make the trip. In 1841 he laid the first government land warrant entered at that office. Being a Mexican land warrant. That year and the one following Mr. Lane broke 40 acres of his land besides fencing his farm, also building a home 16 X 18 feet. For his first crop of wheat he received 57 cents per bushel, selling it in Clinton and receiving $150, the largest sum he had ever possessed. Later he hauled 40 bushels to Chicago, then a small town. The trip took 12 days. As he prospered he added more land to his possessions until he owned over 400 acres. In 1873 when the C. H. & W. railroad went through, the town of Lane was laid out, and at that time Mr. Lane sold 100 acres of his land. He followed general farming, but the raising of cattle and hogs was always the principal feature. Since 1872 he had also engaged in grain buying.
On November 15, 1848, he was married to Miss Elizabeth THOMPSON, also a native of the Blue Grass state. To this union ten children were born, six of whom survive, as follows: James, Quincy, Ill.; Mrs. Martha GIBSON, Creek township; Richard, Clinton; Jeremiah, Creek township; Ezekiel, Hebron, Neb.; and William T. of Creek township. Mrs. Lane was a devout member of the Christian church, she died February 21, 1884.
Mr. Lane married again October 5, 1885, his second wife being the widow of Benjamin McABOY of Creek township. She is also of Kentucky blood and the only member of her family now living. She was the mother of five children, four of whom are living, Mrs. Grant PENNINGTON and Mrs. Wm. T. LANE of Lane, Mrs. A. M. MONTGOMERY of Weldon and Mrs. S. K. CARTER of Clinton. All born before her marriage to Mr. Lane. For half a century, Mr. Lane had been an active member of the Christian church of which he was almost continually an official. He was also for years an active member of the Masonic lodge. Mr. Lane was a staunch supporter of the Democratic party and its principles always considered authority on both county and state politics. He was active in all campaigns, even up to the last, and a new step was not finally taken until he had been consulted. Mr. Lane served a number of terms as supervisor and was on many important committees, and was on the one selected to sell swamp lands and to purchase a site for the poor farm. In 1872, he was elected to the General assembly serving two terms. During this time the statutes of the state were revised. He always took a leading part in the advancement of schools and everything that landed to the good of the community. When he located in Creek township there were but 50 acres there under cultivation. Game was plentiful, and a small band of Creek Indians were still there. In early days he bought stock in almost every section of Illinois, riding hundreds of miles on horseback in making his purchases. The funeral services were held at the First Christian church in Lane at 3 o'clock this afternoon, conducted by Rev. ESTERLING, of Decatur. Interment in the family lot in the Lisenby cemetery.
|All content Copyright © 2001-2011 by Paul M. Parkhurst unless otherwise noted.|
|Your session started on 4/26/2019 8:59:38 AM.|
|Last logged in on never . Tree Last Imported on 7/25/2011 11:57:59 AM.|
|Problems? Comments? Complaints? Praise? Email the Webmaster|